Monday, May 2, 2011

BAD NEWS, but NEWS THAT GOD HAS ORDAINED


Yes, it is BAD NEWS.

My heart has been ripped open this weekend as we were told by our agency that we will NOT be able to adopt from Burundi.  We were told that what they discovered when they were in Africa a few weeks ago, was that Burundi does not have the system in place to process adoptions according to regulations of the Hague Treaty that they signed.  They are simply not at the point to process anything right now.  And adoptions from Burundi at this point are NOT A VIABLE OPTION.

I feel that we have suffered a terrible loss.  Our hopes, our dreams, our prayers for our little child from Burundi have been cut off.  We will not get to see them come to fruition, at least not at this time.  I can not describe how painful it has been to deal with this loss, as well as wrestle with questioning what God is doing with our lives.  Let's just say I have cried every day that we found out, multiple times a day.


I did not want to share this info with anyone.  I did not want to be exposed.  I felt so raw.  But, God was working hard on my heart.  He has shown me a lot in these past couple of days.  I have been faced with my desire to control everything in life.  I have been faced with my own pride.  I have been faced with my lack of faith.  I have been pushed placed at the bottom.  But this is exactly where I need to be.  Completely dependent on the Lord, not on myself.


It is here at the bottom that I have a choice to offer worship to My God as a sacrifice of praise, when I don't feel like trusting Him.  My feelings do not change the fact of who God is.  They do not change the fact that I must trust Him, and give Him thanks in all circumstances.


I simply DO NOT UNDERSTAND what God is doing.  I want to know WHY?  Why did this happen?  Why did we spend our time, energy, and resources on a baby that will never come to be with our family?  But I do not have to know why.  I do not have to understand.  That is what faith is about!  What I must know, is what God says to be true in His Word,


"And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." ~Romans 8:28

God is working this loss for good in my life.  I may not see the good now, or maybe not ever (Oh, I hope I do!), but He is working.


Well, where does that leave us now?  We have been praying for wisdom on what to do next.  

I will be honest with you on how things are shaking out.  Our current agency has given us the option to go with their Uganda program.  Typically, the children that are available are an older age than we were originally hoping to find.  However, they may have a child for us.  I cannot give you details.  Besides, there is a lot of work to do in order to get to the point where we could adopt this certain child.  But we have told them that we are open to the possibility.


In addition, we are considering joining another agency to pursue a concurrent adoption from the Democratic Republic of Congo.  This program may work out well for our family.  We will see where it leads us, as we are just beginning to be open to new possibilities.


So, this means that our lives are about to change a bit.  

-Concurrent adoptions means that we may need more finances than we expected (on top of the fact that we may have lost all the money that we put into our old agency).

-We need a LOT of prayer for this journey.

-I haven't mentioned it yet, but Mark will also be heading off on an "all-expense paid vacation to the middle east" during this time as well, which may complicate things.

-We will have to start over with some of the paperwork.

But as crazy as our lives are going to be in 2011, God is in it!  He is working something that we can't understand.  And it is really amazing that He has even given me the strength and hope to write this blog and to continue on this process after our devastating loss.  I am not confident that I won't cry tomorrow, or even for the next whole week.  But what else can I do but move ahead in God's grace?

So our Bad News was really bad, but my perspective is one that must change to the fact that it was News That Was Ordained By God for us.  It was His way of telling us that He had a different plan for us.  It was His way of moving us onto His path, in His perfect timing.

Not my will, but Your will be done, Lord!

7 comments:

  1. Hurting with you guys and praying for wisdom as well. I know God is carrying you through the hurt and that is far more than I can offer. Thank you for your vulnerability.

    Praying!
    ~Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allison I'm so sorry to hear the news. It's never easy to go thru trials but you know that your GOD has something great in store for your future family. It's so good to see you be faithful to Him even in this time. I'll pray that your dream to have a family will be even better than you and Mark could have ever imagined! Miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry Alison. Life is so hard and doesn't seem to be fair at all. We will keep praying!

    Love you guys!
    MeLinda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alison,
    Hugs to you both.
    Tears and questions do not equal a lack of faith.
    Perhaps all of your time invested in a dead end agency was just to place you in front of a person God wanted you to share your faith with. Perhaps it was a way to drive you to the right agency. Sometimes Gods ways seem soooo long and the long way around but our God knows best and have wonderful plans for the two of you.
    Praying that He will bless you two and a beautiful child with a successful adoption- and that you will enjoy each other so much as you wait.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry for you guys, after getting your heart set on Burundi. It is sad when there is a clear need and you are clearly ready willing and able to help, but the process stands in your way.

    I trust that God will bless you for being willing to go through all the hassles of international adoption. I would not presume to speculate as to why God is taking you through this trial, but I will pray that His loving arms will be around you in a very special, very real way as your life plans change directions.

    Our adoption journey took a turn as well (different from yours, but a turn nonetheless). We have found God's blessings and opportunities in foster care that we would not have expected. It doesn't make it easy, but it's good to know that He will never leave us or forsake us.

    (((hugs)))

    Phil

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our hearts are hurting with you. We will continue to pray with you for God's perfect will to be done in your lives. Dad and Mom Struska

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just catching up on your adoption journey. It's hard to believe all you've been through, and now I understand your story a little better. I'll be praying for you as you continue to move forward!

    ReplyDelete